With money tight these days and all of us trying to do more with less, planning is more important than ever. Here are 5 EASY steps you can take to make your marketing more productive, efficient, and cost effective!
1. Identify your target market. Who are your best customers? Study the customers you love to work with and who value what you do. These are the types of people who are best suited for your business. Once you know what they look like you can go out and find more just like them. You can find out where they go for information about your product or service and communicate with them there instead of wasting money putting your message in front of the wrong people, and the wrong places, at the wrong times!
2. How are you different? What makes your tutoring service unique from everyone else out there doing what you do? (Hint: it’s neither “great service” nor “fair prices” – who doesn’t offer those?). This is essential to effective marketing. Until you can communicate exactly why prospective customers should work with you, you are playing a guessing game with your marketing dollars. Everyone buys for different reasons- learn why your BEST customers buy from you and you’ll be able to tell future best customers why they should buy from you too!
3. Develop a plan. Old school marketing is dead! The days of recklessly blasting your special offers out to anyone and everyone are over! Prospects hate to be sold; they want access to information on their terms. Develop a plan to educate your target audience (reducing the need to SELL!). There are a ton of tools available to communicate with prospects. Find out what works for your business and audience. Use email, blogs, customer segmentation, variable data and social media (Twitter, Facebook, etc) and create a strategy to engage your target market in a conversation with you – on their terms. It’s easier than you think!
4. Create a marketing calendar. Create a plan for your marketing and write on the calendar! This will guide you throughout the year and set you on a path to achieve your business and marketing goals. It also helps you organize and prioritize; systematizing your marketing so you can easily fit it into your already busy schedule.
5. Measure your success. It’s imperative to track and measure your results so you can stop throwing money down the toilet on marketing tactics that don’t work and do more of the things that do! Be diligent about this!
I guarantee that if you do a bit of work to figure these things out you will spend less time and money on your marketing and get better results! If you need help, give us a call, we are here to help!
By Carolyn Higgins